Beirut Mirror
  • Automotive
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Luxury
  • News
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Travel
No Result
View All Result
Beirut Mirror
  • Automotive
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Luxury
  • News
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Travel
No Result
View All Result
Beirut Mirror
No Result
View All Result
Home Health

Deaths due to COVID-19 caused by new Omicron strain worry WHO chief

July 13, 2022
in Health
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

As a new wave of infections spreads across Europe and the US, the World Health Organization (WHO) has urged governments and health care institutions to take immediate steps to stop the spread of COVID-19. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director General of the WHO, said at a press conference in Geneva that sub-variants of the Omicron strain were increasing the number of cases and the number of deaths. It was Tedros’ suggestion that standards such as mask usage be revived so as to prevent the spread of the disease.

Deaths due to COVID-19 caused by new Omicron strain worry WHO chiefAlthough there has been an increase in cases, the WHO is concerned that surveillance of the virus and any new varieties is waning. WHO officials reiterated that COVID-19 is still a public health emergency of global concern, as the WHO classifies pandemics. New cases of BA.4 and BA.5 Omicron sub-variants are occurring in Europe when people start traveling again after two years of staying put after attending huge meetings.

According to the Office for National Statistics, one in every 25 English people tested positive in the last week of June. Even if a person has already had COVID-19, they are still susceptible to infection; however, immunization helps protect against serious illnesses. “New waves of the virus demonstrate that COVID-19 is nowhere near over,” Tedros said, adding that he is “concerned about a rising death toll.”

According to the WHO, there has been no evidence to date that BA.5 is more severe than prior Omicron variants, or that vaccines and approved treatments are ineffective, although many governments remain concerned about the BA.5 sub-lineage, particularly as it relates to re-infections.

Despite a decline in surveillance, including testing and sequencing to detect and identify variants, Maria Van Kerkhove, WHO’s Technical Lead Officer for COVID-19, said the virus is still spreading globally at an accelerated pace. All vulnerable individuals and those in their immediate circle were already advised to get a second booster dose of the vaccine by the WHO’s regional director for Europe.

Share30Tweet19

Recommended For You

Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak expands health response in DRC
Health

Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak expands health response in DRC

May 18, 2026
Measles outbreak in Bangladesh leaves toll at 415
Health

Measles outbreak in Bangladesh leaves toll at 415

May 13, 2026
Hantavirus probe deepens after deaths on Atlantic cruise
Health

Hantavirus probe deepens after deaths on Atlantic cruise

May 5, 2026
DR Congo lifts national mpox emergency after two years
Health

DR Congo lifts national mpox emergency after two years

April 4, 2026
UNICEF and partners launch $300m child nutrition drive
Health

UNICEF and partners launch $300m child nutrition drive

March 14, 2026

Related News

Mercedes-Benz unveils electric C-Class in Seoul

Mercedes-Benz unveils electric C-Class in Seoul

April 22, 2026
Nikkei 225 closes at record after topping 62000

Nikkei 225 closes at record after topping 62000

May 8, 2026
UAE hosts PM Modi for official talks on energy and trade

UAE hosts PM Modi for official talks on energy and trade

May 16, 2026
ADNOC Gas posts resilient Q1 profit despite disruption

ADNOC Gas posts resilient Q1 profit despite disruption

May 14, 2026
Climate warming drives oxygen decline in rivers

Climate warming drives oxygen decline in rivers

May 19, 2026
UAE president and Greek PM hold Abu Dhabi talks

UAE president and Greek PM hold Abu Dhabi talks

May 8, 2026
Hantavirus probe deepens after deaths on Atlantic cruise

Hantavirus probe deepens after deaths on Atlantic cruise

May 5, 2026
UAE President and Italy defence chief discuss security

UAE President and Italy defence chief discuss security

April 24, 2026

© 2023 Beirut Mirror | All Rights Reserved

  • Home
  • Contact Us

No Result
View All Result
  • 2023 marks impressive recovery in global travel, reports UNWTO
  • Beirut Mirror
  • Contact Us

© 2023 Beirut Mirror | All Rights Reserved

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?